You’re the boss now. You should be giving help, not asking for it, right?
Wrong. Managers – especially new ones – need all the help they can get. But for some, asking for assistance feels like admitting a weakness. Keep in mind: As a manager, you’re not supposed to have all the answers, even if you have superb leadership skills. So if you’re unsure about how to handle a situation, or what step to take next, ask for help.
- Asking for help demonstrates confidence. It shows you are secure enough in your skills and abilities that you’re not threatened by asking for guidance.
- It can save you time or from making a big mistake. When you ask for assistance before making a move, it can also open your eyes to a new perspective you hadn’t thought of before.
- You’re setting a good example. By asking for help, you’re showing employees it’s ok to do so. When they ask for assistance, it can improve their individual performance, as well as the team’s.
Sometimes, you should try to resolve a problem on your own. But if you’re wasting hours and getting nowhere, then it’s time to ask for help. Here are a few different ways to do it:
- “I’m dealing with a situation and wanted to see if I could run it by you.”
- “I’m in charge of ABC project and am stuck on B part of it. Can you take a look at what I’ve come up with so far?”
- “I really want to do task X better. Do you have five minutes so I can pick your brain?”
- “What would you do if you were in my place?”
If you’re new to management, it can be easy to feel like you’re in over your head. In fact, many companies promote employees into management positions without offering training necessary to perform well in their new roles. So you’re certainly not alone.
But as the manager, it’s up to you to make the best decisions. If there’s an area you’re struggling with or need some guidance, don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help. The answers you get may take you in an unexpected direction or help you see a difficult situation in a different light. Either way, asking for help will help you make the right choices for your team.
Does one of the areas you need help with involve recruiting and hiring top performers for your team?
Call PrideStaff. As one of the leading staffing agencies in Tempe, we can give you access to highly qualified professionals for temporary, temp-to-hire and direct hire positions. Get the people you need, where and when you need them! Contact PrideStaff today to learn more about how we can help you.