Will hiring managers overlook you if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile? And does having a LinkedIn profile boost job search results?
As one of the top employment firms in Tempe, PrideStaff can tell you: It depends.
If you’re searching for a job in marketing or social media, then hiring managers will certainly question the wisdom of not having a LinkedIn profile. That being said, for many positions, a hiring manager isn’t going to reject you for simply not having a LinkedIn profile.
But if a hiring manager likes what they see on your resume, they’ll likely go to the web first to do some basic research on your background. Again, if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile, that hiring managers will wonder why. They may also think you’re not current on the latest trends in technology, which isn’t a point in your favor.
So while having a LinkedIn profile may not be a deciding factor on whether you get hired, it certainly makes professional sense, especially when you think about how easy it is to post a profile.
If you don’t have a profile – and don’t know where to begin – below are some tips to help you get started:
- Go to LinkedIn, complete the registration form and click the “Join Now” button.
- Compile your profile, which should include your professional headline (who you are and what you do), a professional headshot, and information about your background. Give as much detail as you can and if you have samples of your work, don’t forget to include or link to those.
- Start networking by searching for people you know and inviting them to connect with you. You can also expand the reach of your network by browsing through your contacts’ connections and asking them to introduce you.
- Remember, the more connections you have, the more likely you are to be found by those who want to hire people like you. That said, your network should be as relevant as possible. So don’t send out or accept invitations to anyone and everyone.
- Join any industry or discussion groups that are of interest to you. This will help you establish more contacts with common interests, as well as share your business expertise.
- Finally, keep in mind that LinkedIn isn’t a social networking site like Facebook. You need to always be professional in what you say and do online.
Need more help finding your next job? Call PrideStaff. As one of the top employment firms in Tempe, we can help you with the entire job search process, from writing a resume that gets results to connecting you with rewarding opportunities that aren’t always advertised.
Contact PrideStaff today to learn more about how we can help you.